Week 4
Monday-VACCINATIONS!
It was an all day affair. This is the last day of vaccinations in Mukono and all over the country except Kawolo hospital in Lugazi is going to keep going until Wednesday because there are so many kids that haven't received them yet. Vaccinated hundreds, wrestled hundreds, got to know Karli, Elise, and Olivia better and was exhausted out of my mind, but it was a great day!
Tuesday-JINJA!!! We
were surrounded by monkeys! We went
swimming in Jinja at the Jinja Nile Resort and ate lunch there-hamburger, chips
(fries), ice cream, singing in my soul, etc.
It was just awesome. Because we
worked all weekend we got to take weekdays off instead.
Wednesday- We went to Kampala to see Brianne at the
hospital. We are all kinda getting sick
of being ripped off by the taxi and boda drivers. It’s ridiculous. We asked someone on the taxi how much a boda
should be to the hospital and they said 1,500 UGX and when we got there the
boda drivers said 5,000 UGX…I think Kerri almost hit them…it was so frustrating
it was almost funny. However, Holley and
Kerri and I got to know each other better, went out to lunch and got a nasty
pizza, talked, went to the internet café where we learned about the bombing in
Kenya and got emails from the embassy to be careful n’ stuff, and got to see
Brianne who was doing much better than when Troy and I had dropped her and
McCall off two days ago. We went to a
super market while we were there that had American food and freezers and I was
captivated. It was crazy. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted ice cream or a
snickers or Pringles so bad. I’m not
like that all the time while I’m here.
Usually I don’t care, but just to see it and be starving-it was just bad
timing. We got to speak with a really
cool guy on our way back about some of the things we liked and didn’t like on
the way back.
Thursday-Paramedic Program application is due (though I
swear before I left everything was due the 15th), so I spent the
whole day applying for that (writing the essays and such) and talking to mom
about getting everything in the mail and off from the house since they need
hard copies. I also went to the Muslim
Health Center with people so that they could get tested for the parasite, which
most people that went either have parasites or worms-only a few of us are safe.
Friday- Slow day…random work on project day. Don’t even ask. I don’t really remember. I was tired.
I don’t really remember much other than some emails and meetings and
phone calls.
Saturday- We went to Seya School on Saturday and helped out
all day. It was Lane, Stewart, Jessica,
and me until Troy and McCall came half way through the day to help us finish
up. We dug all the trenches, carried all
the quarry rocks down from the mountain-in the middle of PINE TREES, and filled
the trenches with the quarry rocks from the quarry. I’m still sore. When I said PINE TREES, I meant pine trees,
like pine cones, Christmas trees, smell of the mountains-pine trees! One very small patch and the only ones I’ve
seen here. I got super sunburned, but
vinegar is amazing. The locals made us a
wonderful lunch and we each got a half a chapatti, a scoop of beans, and some
homemade juice. It was fantastic. We got all the work done with just the six of
us and the locals. Everyone else on the
team was sick. The parasite has done its
damage and taken its toll on many people.
When we came back everyone got up and cleaned for half an hour and then
Olivia and I went to talk to Eddie about a health campaign we are going to have
in Najjembe and a party he is going to throw in her honor before she leaves so
that she can try everything she hasn’t had in Uganda before she leaves and
everyone in Najjembe can say thank you and good-bye. Brianne came home!
Sunday-Called Eddie and told him to meet us at the taxi park
so we could go to Mukono, but we filled our taxi and left before he got
there. So I called him when we got to
Mukono and told him that when his taxi got to Mukono to walk up Kayunga road
about a km, but when it was getting closer to starting time I told him just to
tell a boda to take him to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He finally got there. He was late so I didn’t see him come in,
until he got up to bear his testimony.
He’s never been to our church so I was really nervous, but it was really
good. He talked about how the enemy had
tried to stop him since two weeks ago from when he met me and I invited him to
come with me from coming to church with me, but he had finally made it and he
was glad and how he thanked God and all this great stuff. It was relieving and kinda funny, but
beautiful and sweet. The whole day was
so spiritual. There was a baptism after
church and this time the room didn’t flood (…yeah!). So far, great day...as always, more to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment