Thursday, May 31, 2012

Week 3

Life in Uganda is fun...for about a week.  So here goes. Sorry it's been so long.  It's been crazy.  I will just highlight a few things and not get crazy like last time because we are headed to the hospital to visit Brianne soon and then we have to go back to Lugazi.

First-I started to hate how slowly HELP works.  We spend more time writing project proposals and talking about how to make help look good and raise money than we do actually doing good and helping people-it sucks.  They say that's just how it is first wave, but some of us are really frustrated.

Second-Immunizations went REALLY well!  We gave thousands of immunizations! No joke.  I gave 788 measles vaccines and hundreds and hundreds of polio vaccinations, vitamin A drops, and de-worming pills.  I'm so glad I was project lead for that and we've gotten so much done so quickly.  It was a national campaign and millions of vaccinations happened across the country for three days with the help of the government, UNICEF, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Third-Everyone is sick.  Of the 25 of us, only 2 or 3 of us haven't been ill.  I'm the only one on the team with first aid supplies and Brianne has spent the last two days in the International Hospital of Kampala.  It's crazy.  Projects have been put back and meetings postponed because so many are ill.

Fourth-times up...ttyl...update soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment