Saturday, March 10, 2012

I realized when I came back to my blog that I didn't follow up with what had happened at the party in Provo.  We met many people from years past and present.  Many of us were able to find projects that inspired us. 

Personally, I was concerned about some things I heard about the eye camp last year that I'd like to revise this year.  Also, there's a project called "Proud to be a Girl" that I feel like I'll really be able to help with, improve, and find some solutions to the issues they have there associated with basic sex education and the girls' and boys views and lack of education about themselves and relationships.  There were so many projects that inspired me from trying to make Uganda a TOMS shoes drop location to going to the islands of Lake Victoria to teach about sanitation, malaria, HIV/AIDS, etc.  I'm very excited to get started.  I've met with our country directors and talked with Troy and I'm really excited to work with him.  He will be a great CD.

Our experience in Uganda will be once in a life time for most of us and I hope that we'll be able to view it that way and get as much done as effectively as we possibly can.  I'm excited for the food too.  We had an American version of Rolex and some samosas at McCall's house. Since then, I've made friends with a student here at Brigham Young University Idaho who is from Tanzania, but served a two-year LDS mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Uganda.  He invited me to his apartment one night so I could drop off his coat that he'd left at our apartment after a post-Latin dancing game night (How he forgot his coat in Rexburg still befuddles me).  He made me some chips mayai.  For those of us who don't speak Swahili it's chips (UK version-so basically American french fries) and egg (mayai).  It's basically a french fry omelet.  It is really common in Tanzania, but I'm not sure about Uganda-either way it was really good! 

Holly and I have started fundraising together.  Hopefully we can find people to donate by the end of the month.  I think right now our combined goal is 8,000 by the end of March.  We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment